Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Friday, February 10, 2006

Confessions of a vanilla erotica writer

I write erotica. I would love to say it's more high brow than that, but it's not. Probably for those who want to be technical you'd say I write erotic romance, because I tend toward relationship sex. Even my one night stands have a reason. A purpose. Something besides rubbing two bodies together.

Not all. *winks* but most.

I have written frottage and fucking, fisting and spanking. I have done threesomes and foursomes and even co-wrote moose smut. (Two moose, not a man and a moose. And they were weremoose, but still)

The point is, I am not easily squicked.

I'm really not.

So, recently, I was squicked. Not by the acts being talked about, so much, as the way they were bandied about. I'm not opposed to anything you want to do in your bedroom. Really. But sometimes, I don't want to hear about it. And frankly, making it into a one-upmanship contest where you try to shock people really makes me think maybe I *am* the vanilla erotica writer. Maybe it's the southern in me. Some things you just keep to yourself. Or maybe it's because I think erotica should be, well, erotic. Not gross.

I'm not in this business for dominance or humiliation. I'm in it for the love of good, hot sex. And it's a business. If that makes me sound callous, so be it, but you don't need to know what I do on my own time. And you don't need to try to shock me with how much you know about sex acts.

Just give me hot sex, with your average everyday folks loving each other.

I'll eat it up like vanilla ice cream.

No comments: