Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Sunday, September 09, 2007

a wee book review

I adore zombies. No, really. From Dawn of the Dead to Shaun of the Dead, I love zombie movies. I love Zombie stories, too, including the one Lorne Rodman did, tongue in cheek. http://www.stemsandfeathers.org/rodman/free.html (scroll past the moose...)

So it's no wonder I love Autophobia by Lydia Thorne You can buy it here.

Jake is traveling toward Montana, avoiding the main roads and big towns in a world where a terrible infection is making people into half-dead predators. He meets Sam, another real, live person, the first he's seen in ages. Can they survive, or has Jake already started to succumb to the disease?

What I loved about this book was the way Sam is young and scared without being a whiny twink, and how Jake is the hero without being perfect. The story has a very non-traditional ending, very original, but I would argue that it's a happy ending, the only kind these two can have.

The story is very much a zombie tale, with a lot of the traditional imagery, but there's nothing wrong with that. It just makes sure you know what genre you're in. I think Lydia manages to be original for all of that, and give us a short, intense tale that's well worth reading!

No comments: