Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Think you can't change the world?

Or, what I learned from GRL 2012

Hey, y'all!

I've been mostly absent, which I apologize for! I had family in visiting starting the 12th, and I went to GayRomLit on the 16th, so I've been in a bit of a whirlwind.

GRL is always amazing, and I fully intend to do a con report, but I have to relate a story from the other day first. I was at a publisher spotlight, and was discussing m/m with one of the readers there. She was telling me that reading glbt romance had changed her life, an she wasn't talking about just her tastes in reading.

This reader, a self-proclaimed military wife and soccer mom, said that m/m had changed the way she saw the world. A friend had given her a gay romance, and she read it and never looked back. But what I loved about what she talked about was how she said she'd never been a homophobe, but she'd never really been an activist in any way. Now she's not just a GLBT activist, but she's more aware of how she and her family interact with the world at large. And she says how her candidates view GLBT issues, women's issues, and things like marriage affect who she votes for.

How awesome is that?

I often say the m/m genre is changing the world one book at a time.

Think you can't change the world?

Think again

XXOO

Julia Talbot

2 comments:

Katherine Halle said...

Wow, that woman could be me - about ten years ago (before I became a soccer man - was already a military wife and still am) but it wasn't a m/m romance that changed me. My hubs has a cousin that is gay and she's one of my favorite relatives from his side. AND right before our kid was born, my hubs best friend came out to us. We were in his first group of five. That moment changed my/our lives forever.

He was actually worried to come out to us and I felt incredibly bad that he thought we would judge him for that, because to us (and our child now) he will always be D (or Uncle D). And we love him to death, even tho he NEVER emails LOL.

Anyway, they put faces to the movement for me and made me passionate about it.

What a great story! Can't wait to hear your full con report :D

Julia said...

Hey hon! I know, right? It's amazing how everyone has that a ha moment!