Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Three Musketeers and Julia

The BBC is putting out a new Musketeers show.

Oh, y'all. I have been in love with the Musketeers since I was a kid. D'Artangan can go hang himself, really. He's the least of them, to me. I love Athos with his angsty past, and Aramis with his Lord give me piety but not yet and Porthos with his utter lust for life. I love the literature, but I love the movies even more.

I love Oliver Reed as Athos and Richard Chamblerin as Aramis. My favorite Porthos is Gerard Depardieu, from the 1998 Man in the Iron Mask. I just found out about the 2011 version with Matthew Mcfayden as Athos. Trust me, I have a date with it. The worst D'Artangan is undoubtedly Gene Kelly, dancing his way through France.

I love buckling swashes. I love the clothes and the hair and the heaving boobies. I love that Richelieu has been played by actors as varied as Charlton Heston and Tim Curry. I love sword battles of epic proportions.

If you read any of my historicals, no matter the era, there's probably something of the Three in there. The story stands the test of time, after all.

What are some of y'all's favorite period pieces.

Anyhoo, go look at my website for some fun new stuff. And enter your email address at the bottom to join my newsletter. This month's giveaway is a 25.00 amazon gift card

XXOO

Julia

2 comments:

Katherine Halle said...

LOVE the look of your website, the pink camo is awesome!!

I have to admit, I saw the one with Kiefer Sutherland and Rebecca de Mornay (I believe that was the one with Tim Curry as well), and I agree, Kiefer's was by far my favorite (he played Athos - so much angsty goodness). I should find some of the others and watch them.

Julia said...

nods. Get the 70s version with Michael York and Oliver Reed and Catherine Deneuve as Lady DeWinter. There are 2 movies they shot at the same time and one has an ice fighting scene